How things can change... On Wednesday, the Neurologist gave a prognosis leaving all with little hope for Carson's recovery. Sara and Jim were at their lowest low, fearing the worst possible outcome. I think Carson heard that Dr. though, and said 'No way buddy, I'm not quitting that easily!'
On Thursday, Sara and Jim were in Carson's room, talking to him like they had for the last week. While they were talking this time though he moved. They wondered if they had imagined it, but then he did it again. Over the course of the day and night, Carson moved his arms, hands, and upper body. He moved his legs a little, and he opened his eyes. He would respond to 'open your eyes', 'squeeze my hand', 'move your toes'...we were all overjoyed. It was very emotional.
Then Friday morning he wowed everyone again. He opened his eyes, and when Sara asked him if he could see, he nodded yes. So, he can hear AND see which is truly amazing considering the injury he has sustained. This morning he had his breathing tube removed and is now breathing completely on his own. He's off almost all of the medications and continues to respond and answer questions by nodding his head yes or no. He remembers that he's a Chicago Bears fan, that he likes Star Wars, and playing Wii with his Uncle Craig. These last 3 days have really been a turn-around; it really has been amazing to see. Carson still has a long recovery ahead, so please continue to pray that he gets stronger and stronger every day.
So, obviously this situation has been consuming much of my life these days, but I thought I'd give a little update on Miss Ellie too. Last weekend she was a spoiled girl with all kinds of visitors here to play with her. Colin and I spent 4 straight days at the hospital, but Ellie wasn't without attention. My cousin Danielle was in town for work on Thursday night, so she came here for the night. Ellie gave her a good 'refresher' on what life with a 10 month old is like, and they had a lot of fun. Then Friday, my Mom came down for the weekend. Her and Ellie had a fun time putting up Christmas decorations and playing at home. On Sunday Suzy came over in the afternoon, and her and Ellie had fun playing with the castle blocks - Ellie's new favorite toy now. So thanks everyone for being here for us...we really do appreciate all of your help and Ellie had a lot of fun too! Here are a couple videos of Ellie doing two of her favorite things these days...walking and talking! It's funny, she just babbles on in her own little language =)
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ahhh Ellie! I can't wait to see you on Wednesday..you better still be awake when I get there... HINT HINT MOM!! Her babbling cracks me up!
I am so happy to hear that things are looking up for Carson. I have been checking his updates and was excited to read that he opened his eyes and was responding. I just can't even imagine what his parents and loved ones are going through, ughh. We will continue to pray for Carson and his family and may each day look a little brighter for them.
Awww Little Ellers!!! I have some cute videos from Thanksgiving that I'll try to post on my blog today of her! Wahoo 6 days to go!!!!! :)
So glad to hear Carson is doing better-- a Christmas miracle! He's a tough kiddo! He and his family have been in my prayers. I'll keep praying for strength for Carson and everyone helping him recover.
Jamie
Sooo if Ellie can walk now..will she be able to master dancing by Saturday??? :)
Post a Comment