CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 8, 2012

Vacation Part 1 - Lorena

Colin and I recently went on an amazing vacation to Brazil. In 9 days we did so much; I am going to break this into 3 posts. We covered over 600 miles while there, site-seeing galore, and then got the rest and relaxation we so love about vacation too. We spent time with family and friends and time together. There were 10 of us together a good chunk of the trip, so I'm anxious to see everyone's else's pictures too. I will probably end up with more than 3 posts. Colin and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary in a couple weeks so this was our gift to ourselves as well (anniversary, birthdays, Christmas, Valentines...basically any gift giving holiday in 2012 we will be saying 'happy vacation'!) =)We were also very happy to spend a good amount of time with Ashley and Caroline before they head overseas again to Hungary. We're not sure when we'll see them next (probably at least a year if not more) - we will miss them =( Brazil is an absolutely beautiful country; pictures really don't do it justice. Language was challenging at times, but we mustered our way through! Portugeuse is the language of Brazil, and we knew a handful of words - some similar to either Spanish or French. We basically knew just enough to get by, and when words failed us, charades it was! =) There were usually people around that knew some English as well, so that always helped. I hate being the ignorant American in a country not knowing the language, but what can you do. The currency (real, pronounced like 'hey-eye') was about half the value of the US dollar, so mental math was easy when it came to money. This was the first time Colin or I had been in the southern hemisphere, so there were a few things about that that were interesting. You go north for warmer weather, and south for cooler weather for one. We saw the Southern Cross constellation every night (only visible in the southern hemisphere). And it was winter there. Though, thankfully winter there is nothing like winter where we're from. It was a beautiful 75-85 degrees almost the entire time, but it did get dark at 6:00 pm or so, like it does in the winter at home. And the people were SO nice; that definitely made it enjoyable! We have some great stories from our wonderful Brazilian encounters.

We left home on the 24th of May. Traveling to Brazil was quite the haul but our flights were good. We flew from Green Bay to Detroit starting at 1:00 pm Thursday, and then direct from Detroit to Sau Paulo (11 hour flight) for our trip down. We arrived in Sau Paulo at 7:30 am on Friday morning. There is only a 2 hour time difference from home so that wasn't so bad, but it's just a long ways away! (see my map below!) Caroline's sister Dani picked us up at the airport that first morning and off we went on our first day of sightseeing!



Our first adventure took us from Sau Paulo to a little town called Campos do Jordão, which is also nick-named the 'Little Switzerland' of Brazil (Point B on my map below).



This little European-feeling town was tucked up high in the mountains so getting there was an adventure in itself. It kind of reminded me of Mackinaw Island or some other touristy place like that with lots of little shops and restaurants. With it being winter, this is a popular winter vacation spot for Brazilians. It was actually cool there (mid-50s or so), and we were all in jeans and sweaters/light coats, but the locals were BUNDLED up! People were wearing fuzzy warm coats, hats, and boots. We were clearly not from there =) We ate a great lunch, did some shopping, ate chocolate, and drank beer. It was a fun first day even though we were dead tired! I really didn't take any pictures (I think because I was tired...I really didn't sleep on our plane rides) so I pulled this off the internet. It really did look like this.



On our way back down the mountain we stopped to take some pictures. These pictures really do not do this view any justice. It was amazing!







Colin and I with our big beers, going on about 36 hours with limited sleep, on top of a mountain! =)



We then made our way down the mountain and to Lorena (Point C on my map), which is where Caroline grew up. Colin and I stayed at a hotel, but it was just a few blocks from the Panuzzio family's house, so we spent most of our next couple days there with Caroline and her family. Her Mom made us a fabulous salmon dinner our first night - the food in Brazil was SOOOOO good!

After a good night's rest we were ready for day 2! We spent most of our second day at Caroline's childhood home and where her parents live now. Lorena is a cute little city - small, with narrow cobblestone streets, old buildings and a lot of charm. There are about 75,000 people there along with a major university, and there are a lot of people in the streets.

A view of the city from our hotel - I thought the clouds looked cool.



Another view of the street - we were a bit fascinated with how close the power lines were to the buildings.



The dining room where we had several wonderful meals.



The kitchen. Their kitchen was small with not a lot of storage, but who needs storage when you have everything you need fresh and ready every day just within a couple blocks walk? You could walk to the bakery and get fresh bread; to the market and get fresh fruit and cheese; you could have eggs and milk delivered daily. Everything was so fresh and so good.



Their patio with a little pool, which apparently comes in quite handy during their HOT, HOT summers. I spent a good chunk of the afternoon getting my nails done on this patio our second day there. Nail services are very common and very cheap in Brazil! They had a very nice young girl come to the house to do my nails, Caroline's, and her sisters' too. She is a student at the university and does nails as a side job. I got a pedicure and a manicure for the equivalent of $10 USD.



Caroline's parents live in the second story of the building they own, right above her Dad's auto parts store. Nelson's shop is open every weekday, and until 1:00 on Saturdays. He opened the first auto parts store in Lorena.



Night two (Saturday) was also wedding night for Ashley and Caroline. Since so many of Caroline's family could not travel to the States for their wedding last Fall, they had a second smaller reception for family and friends in Brazil. There were about 75 people there, and once again the food was awesome. The reception was held at Caroline's Uncle's Italian restaurant, also in Lorena.

Their cake table





White flowers like at their first wedding



Colin and I



Ashley, his friend Jake, and his friend Jeff. Jake traveled from Germany, and Jeff traveled from Michigan. After 9 days in Brazil, these 3 flew to Peru to climb Machu Picchu! Crazy boys!



Brothers



Caroline, her sister Dani, and I. I love these girls. They definitely went above and beyond to show us a wonderful time in Brazil.



The lovely couple with Caroline's parents, Nelson and Celia



And with Herb and Donna too



Herb and the boys



Bride and groom, this was the first time for Ashley meeting many of Caroline's extended family. He's much more relaxed at this point! =)



Two of my favorite things in Brazil - dessert and caipirinhas! Like the food, the desserts were all sooo good - I have such a sweet tooth. Caipirinhas to Brazil are like margaritas to Mexico - they are the Brazilian national cocktail, and we had them everywhere we went! Traditionally they're made with lime, but we had pineapple, strawberry, and kiwi caipirinhas too. This one is pineapple and it was my FAVORITE! Colin and I are going to try and make these at home this summer =)



University sign across from the restaurant. This is where Caroline and her sisters all went to law school.



Celia and her sister Leta. These two wonderful ladies were so good to us. Cooking for us the our entire stay in Lorena. They were so, so sweet.



Colin signing kareoke with Nelson...or Nelson holding the microphone and Colin singing was more like it. Colin was nicknamed the 'loco' brother at the wedding back in October; I wonder why. He has a reputation in Brazil now.



Caroline's Uncle who cooked a fabulous meal for us!



I couldn't get a picture of the restaurant from outside - without being in the street, so I just took this one of a picture of the restaurant inside. It was really nice!



Dani was the instigator of the karaoke incident...Colin will get his revenge in Vacation Part 2 =)



Sisters



Male bonding...Nelson just loved Colin.



We stayed at the restaurant until about 1:00 am....eating, drinking, talking, and singing. It was a really nice night with a wonderful Brazilian family. The next morning we packed up our group of 10 and headed on a shuttle service to Rio de Janeiro, which will be Part 2. Before we left though, we captured this sight from outside our hotel in Lorena. I guess it's pretty common for city streets to close on Sundays to encourage people to get out and walk and ride bikes. There were literally hundreds of bikes in the streets which was just a typical Sunday.

2 comments:

Journey to our baby said...

I want part 2 now!!!! Sounds wonderful....can't wiat for the rest!

Lambert Family said...

Looks awesome! What an adventure!!!!

Post a Comment