CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 16, 2009

Back to Work

Emmit will be 12 weeks tomorrow which marks the end of my maternity leave. I've had a lot of people ask if I'm ready, and I think I am. I'm looking forward to having a little bit more routine and schedule back in our lives. It seemed like a lot my days home with the kids we were flying by the seat of our pants and my only differentiation of days were weekdays and weekends. I guess if I did stay home all the time I would get myself more organized, but for this short stint, I was ok not really knowing what day it was half the time. These 12 weeks did fly by fast. I cannot say enough HOW MUCH BETTER it was being home in the Fall compared to my mid-Winter time with Ellie as a baby. Unless it was raining (which it rarely did), we played outside a lot. I got in a ton of walking with both of the kids and have started running again too. I am SO thankful for my stay-at-home Mom friends who we've had A LOT of fun playdates with. You have the toughest job in the world in my opinion, and I really appreciated the company and tips on 'what to do' and 'where to go' with a baby and toddler so Mama doesn't go crazy! =)

Thankfully Emmit is such an easy-going little guy, that we've been able to go to a lot of places which made Ellie very happy. She is so used to non-stop entertainment from daycare, that I think being home with Mama was a bit boring for her at times, but we definitely did our share of outings. We've visited 2 zoos, 2 children's museums, various restaurants, friends' houses, Grandma' and Grandpa's, and have had friends at our house too. A couple weeks ago I was feeling really brave and even took BOTH kids to the grocery store with much success! =)

My days at home with Emmit have been really nice too. There were actually very few days where we just stayed home, and thankfully we live close to a lot of things so just running out is easy to do. Emmit has been a WONDERFUL shopping partner these last several weeks, so I am very proud to say I am about 85% done with my Christmas shopping already! SO unlike me! Shopping during early weekdays is much more enjoyable than the chaos of weekend holiday shopping. When we weren't shopping, Emmit and I did have a lot of quiet time at home too though, so that is something I was very glad to have had with him.

Going back to work this time of year is also going to be a nice transition in that work is much more laid back during the holidays, and I have a lot of vacation time remaining. I am spreading out my vacation time so in the 7 weeks left this year, I will only work one full week, and the remaining weeks will be 3 days. So, I really don't feel like I'll be going back to work for real until January. Starting in January I am also going to start working from home on Fridays so that will be really helpful in the day-to-day juggling of 2 children, a career, and a household. I am very fortunate to work for an employer who supports the need for work-life balance.

I'm fairly sure this transition will take some time for all of us. Emmit starting daycare, Ellie going back to daycare on a more regular basis, and Mom and Dad figuring out what the new routine will be. Emmit actually went to daycare a few days last week so we could trial things out. He did just fine which I thought he would, but our mornings are definitely going to be more chaotic. Emmit is waking up once (sometimes twice) in the night yet, and Ellie seems to throw us a curveball about once a week now. She either wakes up and comes into our room which then requires one of us to convince her it's still time for 'night night' in her bed or she wakes up REALLY early and comes into bed with us. So, between the 2 of them, some nights can be really long and sleepless which may make some work mornings come too soon. I know Ellie was not sleeping through the night when I went back to work when she was a baby though and we managed, so I know we will again. I think someday we'll look back on this time and wonder how?! (Caffeine)

So, today's my last day 'at home' (not using vacation time), and Emmit's here with me. Emmit decided last night that he (we) could wake up 4 times between midnight and 5:00 am (joy!) so our last day is being spent lounging around at home and napping. He doesn't seem sick or anything, but something was sure bugging him last night! It's work Tues-Thur. then, and Friday I am off. Ellie and I are going to see Sesame Street with our neighbors on Friday, and then next week is Thanksgiving. We are getting a family picture and Emmit's 3 month photos this weekend too. Before we know it, Christmas will be here! Here's one shot of Emmit today - flashing Mom a smile on her last day home =)

3 comments:

Sara said...

What a cutie! I keep thinking about his PJ's from the other night. :) I am sure the transition will go great! Enjoy your last day!

Mrs Luehmann said...

Yay! I'm excited you will be working from home on Fridays starting in Jan, that way baby and I can come up and see you all during my maternity leave! :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your last day off Stacey.......I'm sure you will get right back into the routine of things...Love emmit's picture...what a cutie and looking like Ellie I think
Love, Aunt Sandy

Post a Comment