So, I'll start with Emmit's birthday. We had a planned induction, and that's how it all started...here are a few of the days details...
7:00 am - We get checked into the hospital. For the next hour and a half it's paperwork and check-in. I told my nurse and Dr. that I wanted to have our little guy by 1:00 pm, and they kind of laughed at me. My time was working from my labor with Ellie - that was 7 hours start to finish, so I was thinking with an 8:00 am start, 5 hours would work for me. They were a bit skeptical of my logic, but I ended up being much closer than they were thinking! =)
8:30 am - Things finally got 'started'. Dr. applied a little tablet to kick-start my cervix.
10:00 am - Dr. breaks my water. Up until this point, the contractions were pretty mild, but after this, I was needing to focus on breathing.
12:00 pm - Time for pain relief. Mr. Emmit was positioned such a way that most of the labor pain was in my back so lying down was unbearable. The medicine ball was my best friend, but it was getting to a point where I wasn't quite stable on it anymore. The nurse gave me a small dose of meds through an IV to take the edge off, and it helped (VERY much so, we'll soon find out). Contractions were very close together so I was happy for the relief.
1:00 pm - Epidural in place, all I wanted to do was rest for a bit, but Emmit had other plans. The intense pressure that I remembered (more-so than contractions) was there...he was ready to make his arrival into this world. Things got a little chaotic here for a minute...nurses and Dr. were VERY surprised at my very quick progress so nothing in the room was ready. Dr. was called, and he got there about 15 minutes later.
1:20 pm - Time to push, getting some relief from the epi, but it's not even taken full effect yet.
1:49 pm - Emmit is born, 8 lbs, 2 oz, and 20 1/2 inches long. His delivery was easy, no complications. A little minor damage to Mama, but at least my pain meds were in effect for the aftermath.
Emmit is such an easy-going little guy. He's healthy, and has already gotten back up to birth weight. He's a great eater and sleeper...giving us good stretches of sleep at night. Ellie loves 'baby'...talking about him non-stop from morning 'til night. We need to work more on being 'gentle' as she gets a bit excited at times, but she's doing really well so far and seems to be adjusting to our new family member. Recovery for me has been much easier this time around. I think just knowing what to expect a bit more and not having as much time to even think about it have helped. All-in-all, we're all doing well...here are a few pictures from Emmit's first few hours...
Minutes old...
With a good set of lungs...
What just happened?
Clean after his first bath.
Emmit likes his hands in his face like Ellie did...he's a little thumb sucker already too.

Meeting big sister for the first time. Emmit isn't too thrilled, but Ellie is having fun.

I mentioned before how much they look alike...guess who's who?
2 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS POMEROY FAMILY!! He is just a doll and I'm so happy for you all. Glad Mommy (and Daddy!) are feeling better. Love the pictures of Emmit with Ellie. xoxo Jess
he does look a lot like ellie did! but I'm guessing emmit on the left, ellie on the right. I like how you said you knew what to expect more so it was easier. I am excited for when we have another for the same reason. It's probably not gonna be so scary and knowing somewhat what is going to happen will help! Glad to hear everything went smoothly!
Post a Comment