For his first name, he also took the same approach...we each compiled our lists of names we liked. We did this for the first time back in March on our trip to Spain. We then exchanged lists and widdled down to our 'agreed upon' list. Amazingly, Emmit was the only name we each had on our original lists so I think it was just meant to be. We debated on spelling a little...'Emmit' was how we both initially spelled it (and the spelling we went with), but at one point learned that 'Emmett' was the more common spelling. There's also 'Emmitt', like Emmitt Smith, but we didn't feel like 2 t's were necessary. As a sidenote, I did have to confirm that Emmitt Smith wasn't some corrupt professional athlete before we decided for sure =) As it is, when I've told people Emmit's name, I've had a few say 'like the football player' - yep I guess so.
So, Emmit John it is...I never thought of Emmit as being unique, but I guess it is not super common. We definitely like it though, and it's who he is. We actually decided on his name quite some time ago, it's who he's been for months already now despite just 2 weeks old =)
2 comments:
We love the name too and can't wait to meet him. Very good to make sure there was no corruption associated with the name... such good parents!
Even though I knew Emmit was named after Grandpa, I must admit that I cried when I read the blog. I know that my dad would be so very proud that you named Emmit after him. My due date for Colin was June 30th and my dad wanted the baby to be born on his birthday so much, but he arrived 8 1/2 hours too late. But as Colin said, they always celebrated their birthdays together anyway.
Thanks for the blog. It is wonderful!
Post a Comment