CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Life With Two

Some thoughts I've been having now one month in to our life with two children....really this is life with two UNDER two, but it's all we know. Before we had Emmit, I had people tell me that going from 1 to 2 was more than twice the work (some said 4 times)...I don't know if I can put a number on it, but life sure is busy. Three things I've been thinking about...this is a really long post!

Busy-ness - it's non-stop. A lot dictated by the kids, and some by us with this nice weather we've been having. We've been getting out and doing things a lot it seems. The craziness has settled down at work for Colin, but now we've been discussing finishing the basement (again)...motivation coming from the ever-increasing toy stash...we'll see...I'm about halfway through my maternity leave now so I'm sure this will seem like nothing when it's time to go back to work again.

Tired-ness - I think my new 'normal' state is somewhat tired. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's really tired, but for the most part I haven't been AS tired as I thought I'd be (as I remember being when Ellie was a newborn). I think having one child just recalibrates a person's tired scale so adding another one just isn't as much a change. I'm not a napper, even on days when I should (like right now possibly), but 9:00 is the new bedtime in our house - it's lights out for everyone usually. Colin and I stayed up to watch a movie a few nights ago - 'til 10:30 (wild, I know)...both kids are usually sleeping by 7:30-8:00 so we at least have one hour of adult time in the evening. I remember reading at one time that you need about 3 hours of consecutive sleep to feel restored when you wake up. So everytime I get a 3 hour stretch now I think I just mentally tell myself, I'm not tired! Shooting for 3 hours versus the total sum (which is usually around 6-7 hours at night now) seems like less lofty of a goal =)

Crazy-ness - this is how'd I'd characterize our life many days now. The scale of crazy-ness varies, but there's always some level of crazy it seems. I'm very glad that Ellie is still in daycare part-time right now - gives Mama some 1:1 time with Emmit and at least a few 'less-crazy' days. Colin usually brings her in the morning, but this morning he had to be to work REALLY early, so I took her instead. I was a little nervous about how it'd go since I hadn't brought since before Emmit, but when she basically wiggled out of my arms, said 'buh-bye Mama', and ran over to the dancing Elmo with her friends I felt a lot better. She LOVES her friends so it's been a win-win for all of us. A typical day at home with BOTH kids goes something like this:

5:30-6:00 am - Ellie's up, in bed with us.
6:30 am - Emmit's up, hungry.
7:30-8:00 am - Ellie breakfast.
8:30 am - Everyone get dressed, brush teeth.
9:00 am - Emmit's hungry, ready for a nap.
9:30 am - Ellie wants to play!
11:00 am - Ellie lunch. Emmit lunch.
11:30 - Ellie nap.
12:30 - Emmit nap. This whole lunch/nap window is crazy time. It never fails that they are both hungry at the same time. Ellie has been in a nap funk lately, so we try to stick to routine as much as possible as that helps, but hungry brother definitely throws a wrench into that sometimes (especially when Mama's home alone!). It's like a baby juggling act - I definitely sympathize for all my friends with twins!
12:30 - 1:30 (maybe) - This is usually my 'free' window. Ellie is a total wildcard with napping lately...it can range anywhere from 45 min. (bad day) to 3 hours (awesome) - usually around 2 hours though. This is my time to usually 1. Clean up the kitchen. Toys all over the house I can tolerate, but not a messy kitchen. Colin hates the toy mess so between the 2 of us, at least our house is in somewhat of a presentable state most of the time. 2. Eat - maybe for the first time that day. 3. Do SOMETHING else - blog, watch TV, nap maybe if I'm lucky.
1:30 - Ellie's up, snack, video to wake up, and then play. Emmit usually sleeps most of the afternoon away, so we play outside if it's nice. If it was a bad nap day, Mama and Ellie might take a stroller ride (pace the 100 yards outside the front of our house within monitor's range) and Ellie will nap again.
3:30 - Emmit's up, hungry.
4:30 - Make something for dinner.
5:00 - Everyone eats - Mom and Dad in shifts if Emmit's hungry again.
5:30 - 6:30 - Play inside or outside.
6:30 - Ellie bath. Emmit bath sometimes too. NOT together!
7:15 - Ellie bed.
7:30 - 8:00 - Emmit bed.
8:00 - 9:00 - Colin & Stacey time.

Of course, throw in at least 1 diaper change an hour, a change of clothes (or 2), and constant clean-up (food, spit, spills, toys) and we've got ourselves a busy day!

I know this is just a phase, and one that will fly by before we know it (as many parents who have been in this boat have told us), but some days are sure nuts. With 4 more months of '2 under 2' ahead of us, we're already discussing where we might vacation next Spring - somewhere warm, sunny, and child-free no doubt.

In light of all of this though, there are the moments that do make you forget...Ellie has a lot of them lately with her talking and some of the things she does...she surprises me with something everyday. Emmit is pretty much in a eat, sleep, poop, pee cycle, but I know the fun will come with him too. He's been giving us the little sleepy smiles now which I love. Shannon took this video of them a couple weeks ago...one of those tender moments that make the crazy chaos worth it!

3 comments:

Jamie M said...

very well said-- I know that craziness seems never-ending, but it does get easier and at least when you go back to work you have the whole day as a kid-free break-- still crazy, but a little different kind of crazy! Before you know Ellie and Emmit will be playing together and not need you to entertain them, so you'll get a break there too.
Hang in there!
Jamie

autumn moore said...

ok,,,sooo im soooooooo happy to see a fellow mom who admits the reality of life in their house. for some reason i have friends with two now who WILL NOT admit any sort of mayhem in their house for the thought that it is defeat! well,,,,im admitting defeat!!!!! life with two has been crazy...sitters are harder to get,,soooo much less sleep! preston is almost 9 mos and still wakes up at least once a night and hes a aweful napper. hes all over the board no matter what i try. its just him ive succummed to. and once preston was born abe decided it was good to wake up at 7 am every day. plus he had severe sepeartion anxiety from us being in the hospital. fast forward to today,,,,aside from cronic tiredness and dreams of sleep,,,the boys are a blessing and play great together. its so sweet to see them loving each other. i know this hard phase will pass,,but not soon enough for me!!!! your kiddies are adorable and feel free to vent to me any day..i wont judge,,in fact ill smile casue youll be helping me feel normal too!!!!!!! take care,,,,autumn

Donna Jean Pomeroy said...

I love the video.

Donna

Post a Comment